City of Boise Livability Ambassadors
The Livability Ambassador program invites selected community members to participate in a series of expert-guided lessons, tours and discussions designed to expand community member knowledge about the city’s vision and goals around sustainability, a responsible built environment, a connected community, and safety and security, among others.
Each year, the program explores one of the eight strategic goal areas. The program launched in 2018 with participants learning about citywide initiatives related to the theme of an “Environmentally Sustainable Community.”
This year, participants will explore citywide initiatives related to a “Responsible Built Environment,” where they will learn more about city planning, community and neighborhood engagement, diversified housing options for all demographics and income levels, historic preservation, transportation and infrastructure.
Highlights include guided tours and group excursions exploring:
- Boise’s Master Plans: Designing for a Responsible Built Environment (May 18)
- Creating Community: How Neighborhood Development Energizes Neighborhoods (June 15)
- Sustainable Strides: Strategically Planned Developments (July 27)
- Preserving the Past, Planning for the Future: Boise’s Housing Goals (August 17)
- Housing First: Partnerships and Strategies to Ensure Permanent Housing for All (September 21)
- Redefining Sustainability: How Infrastructure and the Environment Protect the Community (October 19)
This behind-the-scenes experience is intended to promote understanding of the city’s vision of a more sustainable built environment that respects the city’s past, as well as recognizes thoughtful ways to improve the city into the future. Each activity is intended to spark conversation, encourage inquiry, and inspire action among ambassadors and their social networks.
What Will Ambassadors Do?
Livability Ambassadors will meet at least once a month over a six-month period between May and October 2019. Each tour will consist of a half-day field trip where Ambassadors will visit and learn about a new site. Ambassadors will then process and share what they’ve learned from each tour with their communities of family, friends, coworkers and neighbors.
After all tours have concluded, Ambassadors will participate in a closing ceremony at Boise City Hall, where they will share their experiences as a Livability Ambassador with city leadership.
How Can I Be An Ambassador?
The application period is now closed.
To become a Livability Ambassador for the City of Boise, you must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age or older
- Reside within Boise City limits
- Be able to attend the opening ceremony (May 8, 6 - 8 p.m.) and closing ceremony (October 24, 6 - 8 p.m.), and at least four of the six scheduled excursions
- Cannot be a current employee of the City of Boise
- Be physically able to climb stairs, walk moderate distances on uneven terrain, climb and tolerate potentially extreme weather conditions. If unable to perform these tasks, we will work with you to provide assistance.
- Be able to pass a local background check
Learn More About the Program
If your city or organization is interested in learning more about how we set up this program, read a summary of our inaugural year and how we set up this program for success. Learn More
If you have any questions, please contact us.