A 21st Century Library!
To keep pace with evolving library practice and meet the needs of a growing population, the new Main Library will be built on access, innovation, and knowledge acquisition and application.
- Gathering Space connecting each facility with shared café, retail, and programming opportunities
- Automatic Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) will expand the library collection using a fraction of the space needed for traditional storage
- Maker Labs and smaller Maker Pods to launch new ideas that fuel innovation in Boise’s local economy
- Interactive Technology Experiences
- Improved Parking Capacity
Center for Arts & History
The Boise Center for Arts & History, administered by the Boise City Department of Arts & History, is a community-based facility that connects people to place-based culture. It is a place where residents and visitors experience local history, art, and culture through community-based exhibitions, performances, presentations, workshops, and collaboration.
Located on the same campus as the new Main Library and a flexible event space, the Center will do what a commitment to arts and history has historically done in communities nationwide: revitalize neighborhoods, encourage economic activity, and enhance local identity and culture.
Adding Community Value
Administered by Boise's award-winning Department of Arts & History, the Center will focus on the community to:
- Reinforce a sense of place by telling the local story and caring for our shared history
- Celebrate Boise’s character by enhancing public understanding of the role arts, history and culture play in creating a dynamic high-quality community
- Foster engagement through exceptional local arts, history and cultural programming
What’s in it?
- Dedicated Cultural Information Center to bring residents and visitors together in a learning environment
- Gallery space to showcase the work of local artists, historians, and other professionally curated exhibitions
- Home of the Boise City Archives, providing public access to records and papers of enduring value
- Conservation Lab to protect and care for the City’s collection of artworks and historic assets
- Retail shop carrying books and gifts inspired by our community and our collections
Follow This Project!
To keep you up to date on this project, the City of Boise is piloting a new community engagement platform called coUrbanize. Follow along and you will receive:
- Projects Updates through Opening Day
- Community Events
- Continued Opportunities to Share Feedback
- Main Library Service Notifications ... and More!