Dog Off-Leash Areas in Boise Parks and the Foothills
It's been another successful year of the City of Boise's Parks and Recreation Seasonal Off-Leash program. This program, created to minimize the impact of wintering geese in Ann Morrison Park and Optimist Youth Sports Complex, ended Wednesday, February 28.
The 6th annual seasonal off-leash program, which started Nov. 1, is in place to help prevent long-term damage and address public health and safety concerns caused by hundreds of geese.
Coinciding with the end of the off-leash period, Boise Parks and Recreation is sponsoring a clean-up effort to pick up dog waste in local parks and on Ridge to Rivers trails. The clean-up will be held on March 10, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Volunteers interested in participating may contact Jerry Pugh, (208-608-7617). Groups can also sign up online here. Locations will be assigned to volunteers on a first come, first serve basis.
The City of Boise offers a variety of opportunities for dogs and their owners to roam freely:
- 4 Dog Off-Leash Parks (available every day from sunrise to sunset). Feature mulch or sand surface material.
- 9 Dog Off-Leash Areas (available for off-leash use seasonally or during designated hours) in developed multi-use parks with green grass, restrooms and irrigation.
- Dogs can run off-leash in designated areas of the Boise Foothills, as long as they are not disturbing wildlife or causing a safety concern with other trail users. For information on trail systems that allow dogs to be off-leash, visit Ridge to Rivers.
To see a full list of all approved, year-round off-leash areas, click the link below.
To ensure that these areas can continue to be a space where your pups can run free, dog owners must follow the following rules when visiting Boise City Parks with their dogs:
- Dogs must wear a current license. All dogs over the age of 16 weeks must be licensed through the city annually - to learn more, click here. (BCC 6-07-17).
- Dogs may not harass humans or animals, including other dogs and wildlife (BCC 13-03-02.C).
- Dogs must be on a leash unless in an area otherwise indicated (BCC 13-03-06).
- Owners are required to remove fecal matter deposited by their pets (BCC 13-03-06).
Thanks for participating in another successful year of Parks and Recreation's off-leash program. The City of Boise will resume the program this fall on November 1.
Published: February 28, 2018