National Night Out - Registration Open
On August 7, 2018, participating neighborhoods in Boise will host National Night Out!
National Night Out (NNO) is a unique event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch and is held the first Tuesday in August. The National Night Out campaign has involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, businesses, neighborhood organizations and local officials from over 15,000 communities from all 50 states, U.S. territories, Canadian cities and military bases worldwide. Over 37 million people have participated in NNO worldwide. Registration for neighborhoods to participate is now open.
Want Your Neighborhood to Participate? Register By July 20th
There are plenty of great reasons to participate, including:
- To have fun - no excuse is needed to celebrate!
- To meet your neighbors. When you know who lives in your neighborhood, the more likely you are to identify strangers or suspicious people.
- To increase the sense of belonging in your neighborhood.
- To make additional connections within the community. When you know people, you can exchange skills or resources and perhaps organize a book club, baby-sitting co-op, share walking to school duties, or find new friends for your children.
- To plan a campaign for traffic slowdown, get better lighting, or address other interests.
- To start a yearly neighborhood tradition of getting together at least once a year!
What is the Purpose for National Night Out?
NNO is designed to:
- Heighten awareness around crime and drug prevention;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships;
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Along with the traditional display of outdoor lights and front porch vigils, cities, towns and neighborhoods 'celebrate' NNO with a variety of events and activities such as:
- block parties,
- visits from local police, fire fighters, paramedics, and city officials.
NNO has proven to be an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program to promote neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our fight for a safer nation. Visit Boise Police Department for more information.
Published: July 05, 2018